RE: Possibly OT: GCC 2.96 on PPC for VxWorks 5.5

On 14 June 2006 02:39, Paul Smith wrote:

> %% "Dave Korn" <dave.korn@artimi.com> writes:
>
>   dk> Refresh your memory of your rights under the GPL, then make use of
>   dk> them?
>
> I've gone this route before (for VxWorks 5.3.1 / GCC 2.7.2).  In my
> experience it takes a number of months to get them to send the source
> CD... and there's no guarantee you'll get the right one the first time.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't really have a number of months :-/.

  Um.  Sounds like you've got a problem then.  Maybe someone else has a copy
and would let you get a copy from them.  Thing is, there's clearly differences
in the backend .md file between the version you've compiled from mainline and
the version WRS used to make their compiler.  Without knowing what those
differences are, you can't make those guarantees you want to make; even minor
perturbations of the .md file can result in radical changes in the state
tables that drive code gen.

  The spec file is most likely a red herring, BTW: since you've compared the
generated command lines with -v and they're the same, you have eliminated any
difference that the specs could have produced.  The actual compiler must have
unknown patches, and they could just as well be in the mid-end as the
back-end; more likely both.

  Perhaps if you run them both against the same testsuite and see how the
results compare?

    cheers,
      DaveK