striking out at the eabi

I have been working on coaxing my arm ep9302 based board (a ts7250) into a
modern state. The other week I coaxed (well, with tons of help from
#ep93xx on freenode) the current linux 2.6.17 git kernel + the patches
from http://www.wantstofly.org/~buytenh/ep93xx/ to not only boot, but run
stably with busybox and a few apps, and recognise absolutely tons of usb
devices. This is the first low end processor I've ever had that could do
host usb. woohoo, I'm on the bleeding edge!

I used a hard float gcc-4.0 2.3.5 non-eabi arm toolchain for that. Have
also got a 4.1 based hardfloat toolchain to work. (also, the first time
ever I've had a FC5 x86_64 based cross toolchain work and it's nice to
think I can finally retire that old rh9 box)

Flushed with success I set out, following instructions on this list, to
try getting softfloat/ntpl/eabi to work. (my end game is to finally get to
where I can use the maverick crunch instructions on this processor, and
yea, I know that's a longer way out)

One of my noneabi softfloat attempts got to where it could build the
kernel but the floating point emulator was the wrong size (need to specify
hard float on the kernel build?), and userspace would just hang in an
init=/hello_world case.

More recently I've managed to get myself into a hole using some patches
posted on this list for eabi (latest.dat latest-earm.sh etc and
crosstool-0.42-mg2.patch), with great fear moving aside my
/usr/include/{asm,linux} for the 2.6.17 headers, and still the compile
blows up saying my headers are too old.

so,
1) has anyone got a known good arm eabi cross-compiler tarball for x86 or
x86_64 I could just try?
2) anyone else insane enough to try and do builds from x86_64?
3) got a script?

I am also curious in the general case if the relaxed alignment issues in
the eabi are going to cause performance problems for armv5 and below.

I'm redoing last night's build with sh -x now, maybe I just missed
something stupid

TIA