Re: [OT] making software easily cross-compilable

I've had quite a bit of success using qemu to emulate the target
processor, running in a debian chroot, for the purpose of compiling
with a native toolchain.  The trick is to persuade the binfmt_misc
module that it should run target binaries under qemu.  There's a
script called mkxdeb that one of the Jornada developers wrote to
capture most of the build and setup steps.  It's a good starting
point.

I made a few changes to qemu and overhauled mkxdeb quite a bit to meet
my needs at the last job.  I don't have access to those changes right
now, but I'll check with them and see if they'll send me a copy and
let me post it under GPL or BSD/MIT type terms.  Even if that's not
possible, you shouldn't have too much trouble adapting mkxdeb
(assuming your target is supported in sarge) if you're familiar with
the Debian Way.

Cheers,
- Michael