Debianising crosstool's output

Hi again
   I'm looking at turning crosstool output into Debian packages cos I
need this for my current project and it seems a generally useful thing
(hey! Instant cross-compilers for everything everywhere!) and have
opened a wiki at http://wiki.debian.org/Crosstool with my thoughts but
I'd appreciate feedback from people more steeped in Debian ways than
me.
   My current idea is something like bundling up
/opt/crosstool/whatever as a single binary Debian package containing
binutils, compiler(s) and libraries. It's not a very Debian idea, and
I'm not even sure that Debian is very keen on using /opt as an
installation dir, but doing the whole thing properly with 15 separate
interdependent packages, separate source packages that you can build,
dumping stuff under /usr without breaking anything and so on seems a
monstrous task. I'd much rather just package the output into a
separate repository, creating packages called
crosstool-0.42-arm-linux-gcc-4.0.2-1_i386.deb or something, with
apologies and instructions for building the packages using crosstool
  Is that too disgusting?