Re: crosstool-0.40 released: gcc-4.1 rc1 support

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 02:15:30PM +0100, Marius Groeger wrote:
> Sorry to prolong this thread, but I'm not so sure about that.
>
> Your regressions might not catch a new type (class?) of bug which is
> introduced by using newer tools. Any new gcc version scares the hell out of
> me -- I just have no control over what kind of nifty optimization it brings,
> that just breaks my embedded device. Want an example? Take an application's
> stack usage: on Unices, stack memory is infinite by definitionem: go buy
> some more RAM, and let the page do its bit. On my emedded device, perhaps in
> the boot loader, the stack is not at all infinite and violations sometimes
> even go unnoticed for quite some time. If I have a working configuration to
> compile boot loader code, I'll be damned to throw in a new gcc just because
> it's there.
>
> There is no inherently bad thing with using old software unless you are in
> need for newer features or just the fun playing with new software.

It would be pretty cool if people would just read what I wrote.

- if you want to use an old gcc version, use an old crosstool
- if you want to use a new gcc version use a new one

It's Open Source, you have the choice.

Regarding regressions, old toolchains might have them, new ones might
have them. You'll always only know about them if they've hit you.

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9