Re: local patches feature

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 04:11:38PM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> all i did for my mini-script was have a PATCH_DIRS variable which is
> set to the default of the current patch directory, but which you could
> append other directories to, and the patches would be added in that
> order.

Which order? Alphabetically? With quilt you just have a "series" file in
your directory, containing

-----8<-----
foo.diff
baz.diff
-----8<-----

if you want to apply foo.diff before baz.diff.

> is there (at least for now) any need for it to be more complicated
> than that? (my philosophy is that this feature is primarily for
> testing, and that ultimately useful patches would be submitted to CT.)

Same here, but with Dan releasing new versions only once per age ;) and
without a central repository for development it is pretty difficult to
work with upstream. I've even opened a berlios project to have a public
svn for mananging patches to be sent to Dan (I couldn't convince him to
use this public svn yet, maybe you are more successful than me), but we
didn't start to use it yet.

IMHO we need more coordination for this patching work, especially as
there are people out there who do know much more about the details and
reasons for things than we casual toolchain builders do.

Robert
     Hannoversche Str. 2, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
   Phone: +49-5121-206917-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-206917-9