crosstool vs. building from scratch

I am reading Karim Yaghmour's book, "Building Embedded Linux Systems," and in Chapter 4 he goes into great detail about building a cross-compiling GCC toolchain from scratch. He describes how to download and compile GCC, binutils, and kernel headers in separate steps.

In the same year of the book's publication, a set of scripts and templates called crosstool [1] was released. It automates the entire process of Yaghmour's Chapter 4 down to a single command (more or less). I have used crosstool successfully for building PowerPC executables on an x86 host.

Because I'm new to cross-compiling, I'm curious about the differences between these two techniques. I've never tried the from-scratch method, but my assumption is that as long as crosstool can build the toolchain successfully, then there's no reason to do anything from scratch.

Is this assumption correct, or are there developers who can use crosstool but still prefer the from-scratch method (for more flexibility, for instance)? In other words, if crosstool is working for me, is there any situation where I would still want to build the toolchain from scratch?

Thanks,

Trevor

[1] http://kegel.com/crosstool/