issues with crosstool-0.38 on Mac OS X 10.4

I am running into some issues with crosstools-0.38 to build new C,C+ +,Objective-C toolchains from scratch which I have not yet been able to solve.

I have used DarwinPorts-1.1 to get the missing sed, gawk etc. and added some symbolic links. And in addition to the description of crosstools-0.38, I had to install gettext.

For the as -version and ld -version issue when using Xcode's gcc I used a different approach as the patch mentioned below. I simply wrote scripts which check for as/ld being called with -version and respond by a faked version number. Otherwise they call Apple's as and ld. These scripts are prefixed to $PATH so that they override the originals.

With that, I am successful with gcc-4.0.1 glibc-2.3.5 headers-2.6.11.2. This means the toolchain compiled completely, passed the compiler tests and I was able to execute a statically built helloworld.c++ on a Nokia 770 from the command line.

But I still run into the well reported but apparently unsolved libiberty-problem with gcc-2.95.3 which I need for Sharp Zaurus development.

Here the configs:

Host: powerpc-host_apple-darwin8.4.0

Target: arm-unknown-linux-gnu

gcc: 2.95.3

glibc: 2.2.2

headers: 2.4.26 (implicitly defined)

Host systems compiler: Xcode 2.2 (i.e. gcc 4.0 and Apple's MachO versions of as and ld)

One major issue I stumbled over was that the Mac file system is not case-sensitive by default. And since many of the scripts use .s and .S this messed up several libraries.

But now compilation ends after approx. 34700 lines of log file in

cd ../libiberty; make ....

make[3]: Entering directory '...../build-gcc/arm-unknownlinux-gnu/ libiberty'

make[3]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop

I have found a large number of reports about this problem but never seen a real description what is going wrong. Mostly: I recompiled this and that and suddenly it worked. But since I can't recompile Apples's gcc, this is not a solution.

There is a strange configuration issue right after finishing the binutils. The issue is with the GCC_SYSROOT_ARG_CORE=--without- headers option passed down to the gcc-2.95.3/configure script. Since a --without-headers flag defines the variable $without_headers="no", I get a message:

Copying no to ... /gcc-core-prefix/arm-unknown-linux-gnu/sys-include

which fails since there is no directory "no". This *might* be the root cause of the final libiberty problem.

The strange thing is that I tried to manually configure with the same command - and that accepts --without-headers without such problems.

Another observation is an inconsistency in the crosstools-0.38/ crosstool.sh in #line 259/260.

The comment says something about "Use --with-headers otherwise it will have no profiling" while t GCC_SYSROOT_ARG_CORE is set to -- without-headers.

But simply changing from --without-headers to --with-headers modifies the above mentioned issue to a "Copying yes to ...".

Any help is welcome!

Nikolaus Schaller