RE: autoconf.h and a cygwin toolchain

Dan Kegel wrote:

>> Those errors come with a window containing a simply error message with a
>> memory-address.
>
> That sounds nasty...

  It's very bizarre, I can't imagine what process would bring up such a plain
error box.  Thomas, hat was the address in question?  Are you _absolutely_
sure it wasn't an error code?  (e.g the windows NTSTATUS error codes occupy
values 0xC0000000 upward).

  If you want better error info from the build process, add "V=1" to your
"make zImage" command; then you see all the output from the toolchain.

> First off, apply that patch.  Second, you must use a case-sensitive
> filesystem to build the kernel!  The way to do this in cygwin
> is to use the 'managed' mount option.  See
> http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2005-05/msg00131.html
> - Dan

  Or apply the crosstool patch so you don't have to!

http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.38/patches/linux-2.6.8/linux-2.6.8-buil
d_on_case_insensitive_fs.patch

  This patch worked fine for me with a little back-porting on 2.6.7, there's
no reason to suppose it wouldn't apply with only the most minimal tweaking to
2.6.9.

  Funnily enough I've just been doing all this stuff this morning, and 2.6.12
seems to build fine for an ARM architecture without worrying about the
.S-vs-.s files problem any more.

    cheers,
      DaveK