RE: Running crosstool-0.38 exhausts a resource in cygwin (file handles/pipe?)

spam3 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Running crosstool to build a cygwin -> linux crosscompiler always fails.
>
> The build fails reporting "Resource temporarily unavailable". At the same
> time my complete windows environment gets into troubles as well. Outlook
> fails to write a file; Internet explorer doesn't start any more.
>
> I checked, it appears not to be memory nor disk space.
>
> I am running on a very recent IBM laptop, so performance shouldn't (?) be
> the problem.

  When a cygwin application exits, just like any other win32 app, all
resources should be released.  There's very little that cygwin could do to
leak your resources even if it was trying to.  What is more likely is that
there is some bad interaction with a kernel-mode component such as an
anti-virus or firewall, and it is that component that is leaking resources of
some kind.  However, it's going to be very hard to guess what's going on.  As
a first attempt, try taking your laptop off the network, kill all AV/FW
software (in fact kill everything non-essential that's running either in the
foreground or as a service) and try the build again to see what happens.

  If that still doesn't help, try posting again, with *exact* details of which
versions of gcc, crosstool, glibc, etc, which patches, what exact sequence of
command lines you run to show the problem... IOW, enough for someone to
reproduce the problem.

    cheers,
      DaveK