Re: crosstool: how to link with compiled glibc

On 12/6/05, Dan Kegel <daniel.r.kegel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/5/05, Mark Jessee <mjessee04@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Actually I'm trying to locate the libraries in my crosstool directory
> > that I should use as a source for copying.  There are some files named
> > *.so etc but they seem to be scattered in what looks like temporary
> > build directories?  Maybe I have the wrong impression of crosstool,
> > but I was expecting something like:
> > 1.  Tell crosstool what gcc/glibc to build (ie. i386 in my case)
> > 2.  Build
> > 3.  Install cross toolchain in /opt
> > 4.  Copy a nicely organized /lib directory structure with symlinks etc
> > to my target system
> > 5.  Start compiling programs using the new toolchain that are linked
> > against the new libraries.
> >
> > Does crosstool do step 4 & 5?
>
> Crosstool does 1, 2, 3, and 5.
>
> >  I'm confused why I can't figure this
> > out, as it seems like a necessary step to use the resulting toolchain
> > (ie. everyone here *must* have done this!)
>
> You only need to copy the shared libraries to *run* the
> programs.  No need to copy them to simply compile programs.
> - Dan
>
> --
> Why can't Johnny run Linux?  See http://kegel.com/linux/comfort

I would think that everone who compiles a program is also interested
in running it!  :-)  The process of building a /lib directory
structure from the output of crosstool seems to require expert
knowledge that I don't have.   Can you recommend a howto or similar
doc that might help me out?

Mark