RE: Why won't my program compile?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

>>   Ah, gottit:
>>
>> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2005-09/msg00186.html
>
> isn't that a mips-specific patch that you're referring to?

  I can't see how you'd read that into what it says on the page at that URL?
It just describes how the glibc configure tests for a sufficiently recent
compiler version.  It doesn't suggest that it does so on a target specific
basis.

  Did you try taking a look at glibc/configure?  The test is right there in
plain view.  There's nothing to suggest it's target specific in any way at
all.

  Just because the problem cropped up for someone who was making a
cross-compiler, doesn't mean it is related to the fact of it being a
cross-compiler.  The bug exists in glibc-2.3.2 for all targets, and, having
just had a quick browse through, is fixed in glibc-2.3.4 for all targets.

> crosstool-0.38 for SH4 *will* fail without an extra patch, but it
> certainly won't fail with *that* error message.

  The first post in this thread doesn't actually quote the error message nor
mention what stage of the build process it occurred at.

    cheers,
      DaveK