Re: arm-elf vs arm-linux

Valentin Longchamp wrote:
Hello,

I'm working on a project where we are designing our open-hardware
embedded board for robotics. It's for future academic projects, so we
would like that every student and anyone can use the tools, that's why
we make open-hardware and we want to use the GNU toolchain.

Our target processor is going to be an ARM1136, so armv6. My question is
about the two main target toolchains I could build : what is the
difference between arm-elf and arm-linux.
arm-elf is a standalone toolchain which does not require an underlying OS. So you can use
it to generate programs using newlib

arm-linux is a toolchain targetted to generate code for linux OS running on an ARM machine

Since we want to use RedBoot bootloader (and maybe want to use eCos as well), I know that they tell to use the arm-elf toolchain.
use arm-elf
But we also want to use linux (we have some kernel patches for our
processor and its dev board), they tell to use arm-linux.
use arm-linux

What's the real difference between those two targets ? I know that of course arm-elf won't give support for glibc of course ! Because if they don't differ that much, it would be great not to have to build and use two different toolchains for when I want to build my bootloader or when I want to build my linux kernel or the application I would run on it !

unfortunately you have to use two toolchains because you have two different operating environments.
So the system interfaces will be different therefore the toolchains have to be different too.
Anyone has a clue ?

Regards,

Valentin Longchamp

------