Re: Cygwin and crosstool! (vmlinux.lds.asm problem with 2.6.12.5case-insensitive build patch from crosstool)

Dave Korn wrote:
Ah. Deleting the files would work, too :-)

"To a bofh with an rm-rf, every problem looks like a superfluous file" :)

That's me! :-) I gotta admit, when I saw that episode of BOFH the first time back in the early 90's, I ROTFL.

  For it to work on directories, you have to set the ObCaseInsensitive
registry value to zero.  See e.g.
http://www.osronline.com/lists_archive/ntfsd/thread4129.html or
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817921.  For linux
kernel cross-builds, it's only filenames rather than dir names we're worried
about, but I still reckon that a patch to provide posix-flag mount points
might be a useful kind of 'managed mount lite' feature.

Oh. You're proposing a patch to cygwin to add a new mount option? Sounds like a cool idea. Hmm. Googling around, I see people have been using that flag at least in a hacky way for a long time: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/1997-05/msg00404.html

Corinna objects to it, though; she said on 22 Jul 2004 22:46:44 in
a message in thread "Re: Slight problem with case sensitivity on managed mounts with C VS-1.1"
archived at http://www.newsarch.com/archive/mailinglist/cygwin/msg09026.html :
>The problem in using FILE_FLAG_POSIX_SEMANTICS is this: Any other
>application which doesn't use that flag might get seriously confused
>by having two files which only differ in case.

But maybe she'd be ok with it as an extra mount flag.

And then there's this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg19268.html

Good luck.  If you do implement the mount flag, let me know,
I'll gladly post a link to the patch in the crosstool doc.

But before you do: what *is* the overhead of managed mode mounts?
- Dan