mips64

Is anyone using crosstool to produce a 64 bit mips compiler?

I need to produce a gcc that will accept the -mabi=64 option. I have been
able to generate a 32bit gcc with crosstool, using
TARGET=mips-unknown-linux-gnu.  Must I change this to
TARGET=mips64-unkown-linux-gnu to create a 64bit compiler?  I have tried
this, but crosstool will fail.  It appears as if -mabi=n32 is passed to the
native gcc during the build-glibc-headers step.  This of course causes the
native gcc to give up.

I have tried using the (32bit) mips-unknown-linux-gcc compiler with -mabi=64
flag.  I end up getting this error:  "ABI is incompatible with that of the
selected emulation".  Is this because my gcc does not support the 64 bit
ABI, or because I have not compiled glibc for this ABI?

Bryan