building PowerPC crtbegin.o to work with small data?

I noticed that if I try to use "-msdata" when compiling that this collides at link
time with crtbegin.o over the __dso_handle variable.  The GCC build decided
to build crtbegin.o with the "-msdata=none" option, which means that the
__dso_handle variable gets shoved into ".data", even though other code wants
to see it in ".sdata".

Is there any way to configure GCC to compile all of its libraries and startup
object files to use options more suited to my target?