Re: [WAY OT]: need a windows-based PPC cross-compiler

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Daniel Kegel wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Alex Holland wrote:
> >

> > > PS: The GCC cross tools build instructions from Redhat that I
> > > posted are about 4 years old. I have not tried them recently,
> > > but they should still work. However, there likely more up to
> > > date instructions elsewhere. I remember www.billgatliff.com as a
> > > good site to start learning about using GCC for cross
> > > development.
> >

> > actually, i used crosstool-0.31, picked the "ppc 860" demo script,
> > and let it go.  a couple hours later, i had a toolchain under
> > cygwin that compiled my (2.4.22) kernel source tree.  haven't
> > tested that it (the kernel) actually works yet, but the fact that
> > the chain built and the kernel compiled gives me a warm, fuzzy
> > feeling.
>
> Glad to hear the toolchain came up easily for you.  Good luck
> with the kernel.

thanks.  i only had one annoying (non-crosstool-related) issue.  i
went to compile the (2.4) kernel and one of the scripts
(scripts/mkdep) failed since it was called with arguments that were
the result of running a "find" command that obviously found a lot of
files -- the shell collapsed when its internal line length was
exceeded just trying to create the command.  apparently, the "bash"
that comes with cygwin is not as forgiving as the real bash.  curious.

solution was to just move the kernel source up to the root to make all
the pathnames smaller.  grrrrr.  i recall there was a thread some time
back on overly-long pathnames, i'm not sure it was related to exactly
this.

rday