RE: progress towards mipsel glibc-2.3.5

Jake C. Page wrote:
>Dan kegel wrote:
>> If that ends up being the thing to do,
>> we probably want to check whether $(CC) supports that flag.
>> It might not have mipsel in the name... maybe checking
>> the output of $(CC) -v would be best.
>
>I wouldn't even consider recommending anyone else do this... :)
>mostly posted it just to get the thread started...
>Truthfully, I think the cleanest solution would be to add a much
>needed "--bootstrap" option or something like that to the glibc
>configure script, so that it does not make any assumptions on the gcc
>used (basically, changes have been made to MIPS around 2.3.3 that
>really do assume the gcc used is always for the target arch...)
>
>Barring that, I think an equivalent "automatic" check in configure
>along the lines of what you mentioned would work, too..
>
>> > * glibc-headers won't compile due to the fact that several places
>are
>> > checking for gcc-defined macros _MIPS_SIM and _MIPS_SZPTR.
>> > I defined CFLAGS="-D_MIPS_SIM=_ABIO32 -D_MIPS_SZPTR=32" in the
>configure
>> > to get around this.
>> > I also had to add $(CFLAGS) after the $(CC) at Makerules:1285 so
>they
>> > could be picked up. I TOLD you these hacks were ugly :)
>>
>> Bleah! :-) There's clearly a better way, but I don't
>> have it handy.
>
>Yeah, this one is harder, since it is basically depending on the
>builtin macros of a compiler that doesn't exist yet. Ugh

Probably not an option for some (it is an extra gcc build), but the
easiest way _IS_ to provide a mips compiler and use it to generate the
headers.

If there is one source tree you don't want to be hacking around in it
is glibc's...

configure a non-thread enabled static cross-gcc with
--disable-shared and --disable-threads, and use it
instead of the host compiler to produce the glibc headers.

Everything then "just works".

>Actually, I do... but even if not, it would have been a broken
>toolchain - I found the bits/syscall.h file was more or less empty.
>However, applying the following patch fixed that problem, and now
>full gcc builds fine:
>
>http://ftp.jg555.com/patches/raq2/glibc/glibc-2.3.4-mips_syscall-2.patch

Jim Gifford has a few others that might be useful too (though for the
moment they may only be RaQ2 specific)

Note we are still having a few minor issues with glibc-2.3.5
(as opposed to 2.3.4 where most everything worked fine w 32/n32/64 bit
ABI's)

HTH
 [R]