Re: kernel/glibc headers/gcc bootstrap circular dependencies redux

On Saturday 09 April 2005 07:14 pm, Daniel Kegel wrote:
> Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > the only one i have yet to get to work really is ia64 ... i know headers
> > arent required because i do it all the time now ;)
>
> With which versions of gcc?

thus far ive been using 3.4.3 as my base to get all the kinks worked out ...
once i have, i'll probably take a step back and get gcc-3.3.5 up to snuff (by
that time gcc-3.3.6 will be released :D)

> Feel free to submit a patch to crosstool to remove
> the need to install glibc headers before making the
> bootstrap gcc.
>
> Note that crosstool does set --without-headers when
> building the bootstrap gcc.  Also note that I helped
> fix the --without-headers option in gcc-3.4
> (see
> http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.25/patches/gcc-3.4-20030813/gcc-3.4-
>without-headers.patch) I really would like to not have to do that awful,
> slow installation step.

i was informed on the gcc-patches list that if kernel/libc headers are not
available for the initial bootstrap step, then 'you get mixed matched libgcc
and unwinders which is bad' ... i'm still new to this crossgcc stuff, so i
have some questions regarding this ...

why does gcc build for many *-linux targets even without headers ?  for
example, i did not need to patch gcc-3.4.3 to do an initial C-only build for
arm/hppa/mips/s390/sparc ... and with minor touchups to the
gcc/config/<arch>/linux.h header files, alpha/i386/sh/ppc will easily build
without any headers ... does the configure scripts detect this stuff ?  or
perhaps this statement only applies for the second pass compiler ?  also, if
adding '#ifndef inhibit_libc' to gcc/config/<arch>/linux.h is a bad thing,
why does the mips header file do this ?

for example, i simply do:
 - unpack binutils & configure for <arch>-linux target & make install
 - unpack gcc & configure for <arch>-linux target w/out headers & make install
-mike