Problems building cross-compiler on Sparc Solaris 8 for x86Solaris 10... (cont.)

Okay, attached is the result of a clean configure and build attempt of
gcc-3.4.3.

For those just tuning in, I've successfully built and installed a
binutils for the same target (i586-sun-solaris2.10), using the same
prefix.

As you can see at the end of the output, the command "as -o gcrt1.o
gcrt1.s" fails because gcrt1.s is using x86 assembly, and "as" is a
Sparc assembler. My hunch is that the command should be "i586-sun-
solaris2.10-as" which is in my path and installed in the same prefix as
I'm trying to build gcc for (indeed, using this assembler instead does
successfully build the object file).

The culprit *appears* to be gcc-3.4.3/gcc/config/i386/t-sol2, which uses
the macro $(AS) to build gcrt1.o, instead of $(AS_FOR_TARGET). When I
edit that file to change to $(AS_FOR_TARGET), building proceeds before
halting at another spot due to some apparent Makefile weirdness which
I've mentioned in the gcc-help and gcc lists. I'll attach the full
output for that problem in a separate mailnote...

--
Aaron Gaudio           agaudio @ eng.mc.xerox.com           585-422-6876
               madcap @ irc://rockhopper.eng.mc.xerox.com