Re: Kernel Header Files

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:26:32 +0200, Bora Åahin <bora.sahin@ttnet.net.tr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   crosstoll uses 2.6.10 but my actual kernel is a special 2.4.20 kernel. I built a crossgcc for IBM
>   PPC405 by not changing kernel headers. I know, playing with env variables, set the kernel headers
>   and config file to my special kernel but dont understand [the] reason[s] behind it, which while
>   compiling glibc, it is suggested using kernel headers which is actually used on the target
>   system.

I'm not sure I totally understand your question, but I'll have a go at
answering it...

When glibc is built for a Linux target it depends on a copy of the
linux headers for things like syscalls.  In most cases it will not
matter which version of the linux headers glibc has been compiled
against because the Linux headers are somewhat stable.  However there
are some things that have changed between 2.4 and 2.6.  I personally
have had problems with running module-init-tools with a 2.6 compiled
glibc on a 2.4 linux system.  Other people can fill in the other
changes...

I think it was only a couple of months ago that Dan changed crosstool
over from using 2.4 headers to 2.6.  You can safely change crosstool
back to using 2.4 headers, which is probably what you want to do if
your target is strictly 2.4 based.  Note; you can use any recent 2.4
kernel when building the toolchain.  You probably do NOT need to use
your special kernel unless you've changed the syscall interfaces.

Cheers,
g.