Re: relocating the compiler and associated tools

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Arno Schuring wrote:

> The first problem I would expect to run into is the problem that ld can't find
> its crt1.o startup code. This is (usually/sometimes/on occasion) hardcoded
> into ld at compile time. ld expects it to be at <prefix>/lib/crt1.o
>
> Now, suppose you copy your ld executable (and libraries), but leave
> the old ones in place. ld would still search for <prefix>/lib/crt1.o
> and would not complain - since it's still there. But this does not
> mean that you succesfully relocated the entire toolchain.

i did, in fact, rename the old directory to effectively move it out of
the way, and everything still worked fine.  (NOTE: by "worked fine", i
still mean that the compile of a test program worked.  i still have
not had the opportunity to test it on the target board.)

> Something I picked up from Dan: can you do a
> [target-]gcc --print-file-name crt1.o
> [target-]gcc --print-file-name specs
> and tell us the output? I'd expect it to be printing the prefix'ed path
> instead of the copied one. But I could be mistaken.
> (another, more conclusive proof would be to remove/rename/backup your original
> tree under <prefix>, and repeat the compile steps you performed earlier)

i'll try that shortly.  thanks.

rday

p.s.  i didn't mean for this thread to take on a life of its own but,
now that it's started, we might as well see it through.