Re: relocating the compiler and associated tools

Jim Tison wrote:
Dan, I've gotta respectfully disagree with you ... later versions of gcc
don't seem to be compiling in any less path information

I don't disagree! I heard, though, that they will do a runtime fixup on the paths. I ought to dig up the patch that added it (around gcc-2.96 or so?) ... but might not have time to...

I also liked the chroot jail idea. For some reason (like maybe I'm old
and my brain is brittle?), I'd never thought of that before. Will need
to mull that one over to see if there's a way to make that work
consistently -- can you really build like that without bootstrapping
from zero? What a neat way that would be to build embedded systems at
/usr (and other places you wouldn't consider on your build platform)!!

Yup! And I do bootstrap from zero inside the chroot, i.e. I run crosstool inside it. It Just Works. - Dan