RE: perl ./configure failure (while attempting to configure for crosscomp ile build)

> I have attempted to cross-compile perl-5.8.5 on cygwin for linux/ppc
> using my existant and test proven as working OK
> powerpc-linux-gcc-3.3.2
> cross compiler ...it fails in compiling test program - I feel
> that default libraries and includes, which ./configure used
> are involved in that failure - what libraries and includes I
> should input/use ?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> $ pwd
> /cygdrive/d/Profiles/apovolot/perl/perl-5.8.5
>
> $ uname -a
> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 USPITLAD104868 1.5.10(0.116/4/2) 2004-05-25
> 22:07 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin
>
> $ CC=powerpc-linux-gcc-3.3.2 LD=powerpc-linux-ld
> AS=powerpc-linux-as ./configure

my guess is that when you're doing cross-compile you should specify
--target=.... in similar way as you do for cross-compiling GCC, to make
configure chance to understand that it is performing a crosscompile.

Perl currently has almost no support for crosscompiling, though, and I think
this is all fixeable.

Still, GCC has much more supoprt of crosscompiling, so moving GCC to PPC
first and then compiling on PPC has more chances to survive, even with low
system resources.