Re: crosstool and uclibc

Peter van Swieten [prive] wrote:
Can you tell me what my best chance is for building gcc/uClibc for
ppc405?

[http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/dl/mvpmc_toolchain.tar.gz]

I have tried the suggested mvpmc_toolchain.tar.gz and it succesfully builds a uClibc gcc version. A simple hello world program works.

Building busybox is succesfull too.

Using busybox is something else. It regularly generates "illegal
instruction". I tried building with another combination of GCC/GLIBC. Same
problem. Looks like GCC 3.3.xx generates opcodes for PPC that are not in
my 405 even though I specified 405.

Which version of busybox did you build? How did you build it?

I also noted that crossbuilding is heavily dependant on the Linux
distribution used.

It should not be. Crossbuilding should be totally independent of the distribution you're running.

Can you tell me what my best chance is for building gcc/uClibc for
ppc405?

Get http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc5.tar.gz unpack it patch it with http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc36/contrib/crosstool-uclibc-0.28-rc5-ter.patch

Don't know if it'll work properly for ppc405, but it's worth a shot.

There's a script @ http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=faq#q3 which will automatically build a gcc crosscompiler for uclibc on ppc405.

Thanks for the tip. That FAQ points to http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/dl/mvpmc_toolchain.tar.gz Turns out that script automates exactly what I described! It adds two things: a patch for uClibc, and a config file for uClibc. Those might come in handy when we bring crosstool up to date for uclibc. - Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com
My politics: see http://www.misleader.org for examples of why I'm for