Re: problem with crosstool 0.28-pre28 supplied patch for gcc 3.3.[23] softfloat on ARM

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 12:43:01AM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:

> > Yeah.  It's better not to have hard-float/soft-float mess with the
> > float byte ordering.
>
> So something like --with-float-order=fpa/vfp etc?  As an argument to
> gcc configure, I mean.

Yes.  I think the endianity should be settable at configure time, by
means of the target triple (see my patch in crosstool which does that),
and I also think that softfloat/hardfloat and the float format should
be settable at gcc configure time, so that, without patching the source,
you can end up with a compiler that has the right defaults for your
platform.

> > In my case (a port of Fedora Core 2 to the arm/xscale), what would
> > be the best option, hard-float or soft-float?  I'm inclined to go
> > for hard-float.
>
> For a distro aimed at general users, I'd certainly go for hard-float.
> The kernel FPU emulator will handle most user's needs, and the
> performance junkies will not likely run a standard distro anyway. :)

OK, that's what I'll do :)

> > I see.  Makes sense.  But do you want these files in libgcc also if
> > you're using hardfloat, or does your patch only add them to libgcc
> > if softfloat is being used?
>
> It adds them always, but it doesn't matter if you use -mhard-float,
> because the compiler will not generate any calls to those functions.
> They shouldn't be linked into your final result, in that case.
>
> Obviously, that was the intention of the separate libfloat.a library,
> but I haven't been able to figure out how to get gcc's build process
> generate and install it.

Joy..

--L