Re: Core dump (Illegal instruction) with crosstool's GCJ

Martin Egholm Nielsen wrote:
I've built java natively on a 440, but if I remember correctly it fails
quite a number of regression tests related to soft floating point and a few
related to exceptions. I wish I could remember the details. Even if your
cross compiler would build, I have doubts it would handle floating point
correctly.

Maybe Martin should consider running the full set of gcj regression tests. It's the only way to go when trying out the compiler on a poorly-supported platform. I certainly did this when I started using gcc on ppc405, but I never got around to doing it for gcj on ppc405.

I may try so, yes... Haven't looked into that at all - is it easy to set up?

It is not nearly as easy as building the toolchain, and it requires significant effort afterwards to understand the results and communicate them to the gcc team (and rerun tests with various patches applied as time goes on), but if you're serious about wanting gcj on that platform, it's well worth it.

Also, you might have a platform setup problem.  One of the first
steps in running the tests the way I do it is to set up a chroot
jail populated entirely with the shared libraries built by crosstool,
plus the shell from the target (or one built using crosstool).
See http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/chroot-login-howto.html
Once you have the jail working, you can run the tests remotely
using crosstest.sh as a guide.  Note that I have never run the gcj regression
tests.  Also note that it's much, much easier to run the tests
natively if possible; I did it remotely because my ppc405 didn't have
enough RAM or disk to do that.
- Dan