building a toolchain to build a mips linux kernel

Hi list,

I am new to this list and new to cross-compilation.
I am actually trying to build a firmware for my MIPS based access point.
Linksys has released all the source code and (gnu based) tools to build
the firmware. However, I have to recompile the toolchain since the
released binaries are for x86 and i'm using a PPC platform. The problem
is that the sources for the toolchain as released by linksys do not
compile, because of an undefined variable in a lex file.
I decided to download more up-to-date sources distributions of the
binutils and gcc. The binutils compile fine, but when trying to build
gcc, I get an error on pthread.h and unistd.h missing.

Since I'm not sure what exactly I should do about that, I ask for your
help on this matter... Should I simply copy these files from the include
directory of the linux kernel destined to be compiled with these tools ?
And in this case, where to ?

Thanks for any hint...

--
Alain Perry