softfloat printf("%f") problem: which patch is better?

Back in March, Leon Woestenber asked on crossgcc
(see http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2004-03/msg00039.html):

In crosstool, I have ... added the following patches to glibc-2.3.2 to solve the printf("%f") issue, at least for XScale, as discussed here:

http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm/2003-November/006590.html

This patchset is substantially different than the one mentioned in
demo-arm-softfloat.sh, which refers to:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/2004-02/msg00104.html

Q2) Can someone with more knowledge than me on the issue, which patch is the better one for resolving the printf("%f") issue? They seem to take
different approaches.

Nobody answered him back then. Can someone take a stab at it now? I'm trying to get crosstool-0.28 final together, and I'd like to get the arm softfloat issue nailed down right.

Thanks!
- Dan

-- My technical stuff: http://kegel.com My politics: see http://www.misleader.org for examples of why I'm for regime change