Re: crosstool-0.28-pre13: random walk towards release

Stuart Hughes wrote:
Regarding the --enable-clocale=gnu, did you figure out why LFS
recommended it (the referenced mail archive has gone),

Probably a kludge to get around some build problem. I don't think crosstool suffers from that kind of problem, since in crosstool the building of gcc and glibc are carefully orchestrated.

what was it that
made you think it was bad to do.

It failed when building gcc-3.3.3 with glibc-2.1.3, so I looked at what it did, and it turned out to be a big hammer to override the careful autodetection libstdc++ does on the c library's locale support. So it's a bad thing to do in general unless you're quite, quite sure you need it.

Also regarding locales, would it be true to say that this is doomed to
fail unless you are self-hosted (or building a cross on the same
architecture as the host) ?

Yes, though there's some chance the data might be portable you can build it on one architecture and copy it to another. I don't know. Anyway, it's not something that's automatable right now without a fair bit of work to understand the issues. - Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com