Re: Succes using crosstool on Mac OS X

Hi Martin, thanks for posting your OS X experience!  I too am trying
to get crosstool to work on OS X, and I have a few questions.

Martin> First I used fink to install cvs, rsync, libtool14, fileutils,
Martin> gawk, sed, and wget.

On my OS X 10.3, I already have cvs, rsync, libtool, awk, and sed.
Was there a specific incompatibility that motivated you to install
these using fink?  Or did you just not have them on your system?

Martin> Finally, when crosstool wants to install the glibc headers, it
Martin> unfortunately tries to compile glibc with the platform's
Martin> native toolchain. Glibc's configure script does "as
Martin> --version", which is not understood by Apple's assembler,
Martin> which then waits for a file to compile on standard input,
Martin> which stalls everything.

I got past this by just removing the "as --version" check from the
configure.in file and running autoconf.

Martin> I solved that problem by first creating a cross-compiler
Martin> called "/tools/bin/powerpc-750-linux-gnu-gcc", and changing
Martin> crosstool.sh like this: Where ${GLIBC_DIR}/configure is
Martin> invoked, I removed CC=gcc, and appended
Martin> --with-binutils=/tools/bin.

I don't understand how this solves the problem.  Doesn't "as" have to
be a native as?  How would using a powerpc assembler allow you to
build a cross compiler that actually runs on the Mac?

Dave