Re: Q: Preparing kernel header

Paul Medlon wrote:
Thanks. autoconf.h seems to be related to .config -
obtained by 'make config'. May I know whether the
config (for toolchain kernel header) needs to be same
as config used to compile my target ?

Does the kernel header files need to be exactly same
(or just same version?) as the files I will be using
for my target sources? (To build the target, I need to
add patch the headers based on the BSP.)

I suspect that most of the time, they don't need to be exactly the same. In fact, probably just always using the newest vanilla kernel is a good strategy, unless your patches do something nasty.

A question you didn't ask:
"Does the kernel .config file need to be exactly the
same as the one I'll be using?"

There are a few entries in the .config that
have to match, at least on some architectures,
but in general any old .config will get you
something that mostly works.

In other words, try using vanilla headers and
config until it bites you, then report back on
what bit you :-)

- Dan