Re: another possible crosstool cleanup

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
BTW I am tempted to reorganize the scripts like this:
1. move all code into a single file, 'functions.sh',
as shell functions, one per build phase, probably ten functions in all ...

i've already done part of that, since it seemed clear that a single script
with a number of internal functions was the cleanest design.

It's not at all clear to me, but it's worth a try; all the alternatives are also bad.

> my goal was
to simplify the whole build process just so *i* could understand what
was going on. in the process, i did remove some functionality

I did, too; that's why I took out newlib support. Had to simplify so I could understand it.

> -- just
for my own use, i took out the whole download/wget ability.  from my
perspective, i can't see it being used so frequently that it needs to
be automated.  i just figured, if you know you're going to be using
a certain set of gcc/glibc/binutils/etc. tarballs, just download them
to start with and take it from there.

Heh. Now delete all those files and try to repeat. You'll find that it's very, very handy to have something that can grab them all. It's just like any other part of the build procedure; automating it seems like overkill -- until you get tired of doing it over and over again. (e.g. if you want to try out new versions.) - Dan