Re: Output ecoff binary using alpha cross compiler

>  The original Linux/x86 used the 'aout' format and when using that
> the C library wasn't the FSF glibc release at all, but something
> 'custom'. Even when moving to ELF the C library was not yet glibc,
> but the 'libc5'... RedHat 5.x and SuSE 5.x still used the 'libc5'
> which wasn't the FSF's 'glibc-2.x'. So this 'alpha*-*-linux*ecoff*'
> is not expected to use any glibc-2.x, but something 'custom' C
> library like 'libc5'...

I tried to cross compile GCC with an alpha-linuxecoff target using Dan's
script but failed. I checked README of glibc2.2.5, it doesn't even claim
it support alpha-linuxecoff. As you said, maybe I have to use some
'custom' C library... things become difficult...

>  Producing separate toolchains for the 'alpha-linux-ecoff' and
'alpha-linux-gnu'
> cases could be the easy way. It is up to you what you want to achieve,
but
> generally trying to produce a "Swiss Army Knife" with 10 or so different
tools
> in one is always harder than producing the 10 separate tools...
>
>  You could try to elaborate what is your target and why you need to
produce
> the ecoff format executables...

Having a separate toolchain for alpha-linuxecoff is definitely enough for
me, the thing is it may be difficult to get one. The reason I need ecoff
format is that I want to generate some binary to feed into a
cycle-accurate alpha simulator. The simulator was initiated a long time
ago, so it only accepts ecoff binaries. Maybe a cheaper way is to supply
an elf loader to the simulator. I will try to do that.

Thanks!

Tao

http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/
crossgcc-unsubscribe@sources.redhat.com