Adding newlib support to crosstool (was: Re: cross tool)

NGB wrote:
Looking at you cross tool scripts, I would like to add Newlib and plain toolchains support (I am more interested in arm-elf).
Going through the script, it seems that the execution flow is hardcoded,
Binutils -> Glibc -> Gcc ->Glibc ...

Do you have an idea on how you would like to support other build targets, in other words what would be the prefered way to let the user decide which build options he wants ?

> I see two options: environment variables (sometimes hard for newbies) or prompts

Prompts are not ok because this has to be an unattended script
that works without any user interaction.

We could try to do it the way Bill Gatliff originally did it:
sense the target name, and if it contained '-elf' in it,
choose newlib.
If that looked too ugly, we could have a second script,
crosstool-newlib.sh, that was dedicated to newlib toolchains,
but took the same arguments/env vars as crosstool.sh.

Good luck!  Lots of people will appreciate this if you do it.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com