Crossbuilding a native compiler (was: Re: Crosstool)

Alexander Vingardt wrote:
Your crosstool totally rocks! I've successfully build an arm toolchain on OSX ( glibc2.3.2 + gcc3.3.1 ). I cheated a bit though ( glibc kept failing, so I built the toolchain on my ppc linux machine, copied it to my OSX machine, replaced binutils with the one I built on OSX and then did a final gcc compilation ).

I cheated the same way last time I needed to support cygwin! One of these days we'll get glibc to build properly in strange places.

> The resulting toolchain has worked
flawlessly so far. I haven't run any regression tests yet but I will.

Excellent!

What I'm trying to do now is build a native toolchain. On one of the forums I read that you were planning on adding this functionality to your crosstool. Do you have a working script to do that? If not, can you point me in the right direction?

I haven't done it yet. You'd add a new directory next to build-gcc called, say, build-gcc-target, and would configure gcc just like the final gcc. In other words, add another paragraph to the end of crosstool.sh, looking something like the following (no idea what horrible problems this will run into):

mkdir -p build-gcc-native; cd build-gcc-native

if test '!' -f Makefile; then
    ${GCC_DIR}/configure --target=$TARGET --host=$TARGET --prefix=/usr \
        ${GCC_EXTRA_CONFIG} \
        --with-headers=${PREFIX}/${TARGET}/include \
        --disable-nls \
        --enable-threads=posix \
        --enable-symvers=gnu \
        --enable-__cxa_atexit \
        --enable-languages=c,c++ \
        --enable-shared \
        --enable-c99 \
        --enable-long-long
fi

make all
make install DESTDIR=${PREFIX}/${TARGET}

Let me know what happens!
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel