Re: towards a good embedded userland cross-build system

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 06:14:47PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> On the other hand I've been quite impressed with erik Andersen's makefiles
> for uclinux gcc building. I need to take a look at Dan's crosstool and
> Robert's stuff too. I do think that running the test-suite stuff is a really
> imnportant feature. I've had enough trouble with this game to know that I'd
> really like the test suite run....

Ack. A closer integration of crosstools into ptxdist is definitely on my
schedule; being able to run the test suites is very important.

Btw, when I was searching for build systems I've also played around with
Emdebsys; in fact I've started with it's build system when it was still
cml2 based but gave up when Eric stoped maintaining it... PTXdist always
tried to be "best of what's already available". I even tried to use the
debian style packet system for binary packets but the longer I thought
about the design the more I came to the conclusion that being able to
configure a system in detail is ortogonal to having binary packages
(which always rely on predefined features of their dependency packets).

Robert
     Hornemannstraße 12,  31137 Hildesheim, Germany
    Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 |  Fax: +49-5121-28619-4