Re: towards a good embedded userland cross-build system

+++ Shaun Jackman [03-08-15 10:05 -0600]:
> Since Debian is being mentioned, has anyone here tried the Debian
> package toolchain-source? I've had pretty good luck with it for arm-elf.

Yes. I built some packages with it - binutils-arm-linux and gcc-arm-linux
for gcc 3.2.3

However whilst it's built some useful packages despite trying several
combinations of binutils, toolchain-source and gcc versions I've not got a
cross-compiler that works for all of userspace, kernel 2.4.18 and bootldr.
Any compiler would do 2 of the above correctly.

I have yet to get to the bottom of this problem.

There are also problems with the toolchain-source concept within the debian
build infrastructure which mean that toolchain-source will get out of sync
with packages built using it and then we have a technical GPL violation
(source not available for binaries). It's maintainer reckons it is probably
dead as an idea although some of it's scripts may live on as they are handy
as the concept of relying on other debian-built components (libraries)
simplifying the build process is a good one.

You can read about my efforts here:
http://www.aleph1.co.uk/armlinux/toolchain.html

It needs updating of course...

On the other hand I've been quite impressed with erik Andersen's makefiles
for uclinux gcc building. I need to take a look at Dan's crosstool and
Robert's stuff too. I do think that running the test-suite stuff is a really
imnportant feature. I've had enough trouble with this game to know that I'd
really like the test suite run....

Anyway - all of this work is good stuff - things are definately improving
due to these various efforts.

Wookey