GCC/GDB ARM support for file I/O

Does the GCC ARM compiler support file I/O to the host computer from the
target via a GDB/debugger link (aka semihosting) ?. I want to be able to
fopen/fwrite/fread/fclose from my target application to/from a file on
the host PC for test purposes.

I know this is possible with the ARM ADS compiler tools, however, I now
have to port some code to GCC and need a similar feature.

I have managed to get fprintf(stdout...) and fprintf(stderr...) to work
i.e. when using an RDI connection between the target and GDB (RDI is
based on the Angel Debug Protocol).

I'm using GCC 3.2.1 on a Windows host with GDB. Any help is appreciated.
I suspect I may be missing some initialisation or something from my
startup code.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh O'Keeffe