arm-elf-gcc Debug info

Hi guys,
I'm trying to gain a better understanding of the debug information
mechanisms.
I use an arm-elf-gcc compiler, and use an AXD debugger to load the images
(sometimes AXD does not understand the debug info). my question is where in
the image is the debug information kept, and in what format (dwarf? ).
If I build relocatable rwpi code, how will the debugger find the debugging
info? is this even possible?

many thanks

Yadid Ayzenberg