Re: Questions on Targetting Commercial Unixes

Hi Nathan,

there was a brief discussion of this idea on the
distcc mailing list:
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/distcc/2003q1/000697.html

Regarding my own setup however, I had a 667MHZ
PowerBook, and 4 933MHZ x86/Linux boxes. I managed to
speed up gcc builds by a factor of between 2 and 3
(using make -j4), as well as keep the PowerBook's fan
from going on (ie it was doing minimal work).

At one point, I managed to find a couple more Linux
boxes, and just for kicks, I did an 8 way build, but
the improvement was less than 20%. My suspicion is
that network and disk speed become an issue at that
point.

Cheers.

Dara

P.S. If you're just building one application, this
should actually be pretty straightforward. Simply
modify the .o rule in your makefile into .i, .s and .o
steps. I tried that too, and it worked, it's just I
was building so many things that it became impractical
to keep fiddling with makefiles.