Re: crossgcc hosted on win2k CygWin target=linux

 FWIW, the instructions at
http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/docs/cg/prog-build-cross.html
appear to be quite confused about target/host. It starts by
giving the impression it is for a cygwin-host/linux-target,
but gets confused later. Even if you adjust for that, it
still seems as though the linux headers aren't being
included correctly (errors when I try to build gcc).

  The instructions at
http://www.nanotech.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/cygwin-to-linux-cross-howto.txt
look coherent, but are written to use pre-existing binaries
from a linux distro, rather than bootstrapping your build.
Workable, I assume, but perhaps undesirable for reasons
discussed earlier.

 I need to build a cygwin-host/linux-target CrossGCC, and I
would like to stick to the bootstrapping method. I followed
the Wiki instructions, but they failed for me when I try to
build the bootstrap compiler (appears I keep having
problems with the linux includes being picked up
correctly).

 I have about 1/2 recipes I'm trying to sort through right
now; when I get a complete set of instructions that seems
correct, I'll share.

 It has been repeatedly asked why one would want a
cygwin-hosted compiler that generated linux-targets. Say
you
had a W2K machine with SW dev tools (e.g. Rational) used to
create binaries for VxWorks and Linux. The VxWorks Tornado
compiler is a cross-compiler that runs natively on the W2K
machine and generates VxWorks binaries. From a tool
configuration perspective, it may be best for some to have
their Linux compiler integrated with their W2K-hosted
toolset in the same fashion, rather than some separate
contortion involving Samba shares and rsh-invoked builds.
Different strokes for different folks and all that..

L8R,

Paul