Multiarchitecture linking

Hi,

I'm working on a platform with two different CPU types.  Does anyone
have experience linking object files for different CPUs?  Can this be
done with vanilla binutils sources?  I think I understand how to hack it
in, by changing the reloc type numbers for one CPU, and teaching the
other version of LD about those new relocs, but I'd prefer something
cleaner.

TIA

 - ken