Re: Trouble building gcc-3.2.2/glibc-2.3.2 for cross powerpc-linux

>Peter,
>I just ran into the problem you describe.  I have been updating
>Bill Gatliff's scripts to support newer toolchains.  Yesterday
>I tried glibc-2.3.2 (had been using glibc-2.2.5).  To my horror,
>it refused to configure without having a cross gcc.  Since you
>have to configure and install-headers for glibc before you can
>compile the cross gcc, this is indeed a catch-22.  I suspect we
>can fool the configure by the following ruse:
>
>     # glibc-2.3.x requires a cross-compiler even here, so shoot it in the head
>     # FIXME need to file a bug report against glibc for this
>     mkdir fake-cross
>     ln -s `which gcc` fake-cross/${TARGET}-gcc
>     PATH=`pwd`/fake-cross:$PATH \
>         ${GLIBC_DIR}/configure --host=$TARGET --prefix=/usr \
>         --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads --with-headers=${PREFIX}/${TARGET}/include
>
>     PATH=`pwd`/fake-cross:$PATH \
>         make cross-compiling=yes install_root=${PREFIX}/${TARGET} prefix="" install-headers
>
>You only do this when building the headers, of course.  For
>the real glibc build, you use the real cross-compiler.

SOunds good.  I was starting to look at building a cross-compiler
based on 2.95.3, putting that in the path, and then proceeding to
install the headers.  I never got around to making it work since I've
been trying to get m68k-elf for ColdFire to build for gcc-3.2.3 and
gcc-3.3...

>I verified this gets us past configure, but haven't finished
>a build yet.  Knock on wood.

I've got my sledgehammer out and I'm pounding on trees :-)

>When I realized what was going on, I did a google search for
>"gcc catch-22", and sure enough, up popped your message!
>Sorry for my unhelpful reply earlier.

No problem.  I'm sure you were just as distressed as I was.
Thanx fro looking at the problem.

--
Peter Barada                             Peter.Barada@motorola.com
Wizard                                   781-852-2768 (direct)