Re: Problem building cross-gcc for powerpc-linux

Carlos:

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:50:53AM +0100, Carlos Mateo wrote:
> Thank you for your answers!
>
> I have downloaded newlib and used its headers.  I
> managed to compile cross-gcc like this:
>
> ./configure --target=powerpc-linux --enable-shared
> --enable-languages=c --with-newlib
> --with-headers=newlib_dir/newlib/libc/include

I've been looking at the problems in libgcc2.c, they're the ones that
make the ppc-linux target impossible to bootstrap.  No obvious fixes
in mind yet, unfortunately.

Be very careful about substituting different header files during
bootstrapping.  I don't know of any specific problems, but there's the
possibility that you could discover that some of the low-level details
in the newlib headers won't match up with the details provided with
your final header files (glibc or uClibc, most likely).  The result
could be a system that goes !boom!.  :^)

I *think* that when you build glibc with the bootstrap gcc, all the
knowledge about newlib headers goes away and you're all set with the
proper ones.  But I'm not entirely confident of that solution, which
is why I'm hoping to find a header-free one.

BTW, the 2.95.x gcc bootstraps always (well, almost) built fine
without header files, and I did that routinely.  The 3.x ones build ok
for some targets, ppc-linux being an exception.  So to say that this
is a "common problem" would be incorrect, a "common procedural error"
would be more accurate I think.

Cheers,

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
Embedded systems and Free Software.  Yea, it *is* all that!