Re: GNU/Cross Tools RPMs available

On 9 Dec 2002 at 17:33, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Over the past few years, the RTEMS Project has provided pre-built
> toolsets for our target.  I have leveraged this experience and the
> build scripts to provide a fairly large set of RPMs for various cross
> targets.  I am focusing on the targets that are not OS dependent and
> usually have targets of the form CPU-OBJECT_FORMAT. These are hosted
> on a GNU/Linux RedHat 7.3 x86.
>
> The following sources were used with RTEMS Project approved patches:
>
>  + binutils 2.13.1
>  + gcc 3.2.1
>  + newlib 1.10.0
>  + gdb 5.2
>
> We are provided at least binutils for the following 28 targets:
>
> arc-elf arm-elf arm-wince avr-elf d10v-elf d30v-elf fr30-elf
> h8300-coff hppa1.1-proelf i386-elf i960-coff i960-elf
> m32r-elf m68hc11-elf m68k-coff m68k-elf mcore-elf
> mips64orion-elf mips-elf mn10200-elf mn10300-elf powerpc-eabi
> sh-coff sh-elf sh-hms sparc-elf v850-elf xscale-elf
>
> and provide RPMs for everything that would build for
> that target (17 gcc targets, and 26 gdb targets).  We
> filed PRs on the problems.  The resulting RPMs
> are available at ftp://ftp.oarcorp.com/pub/gnucross/.

<snip>

> I am interested in hearing feedback.  Please discuss things
> on the crossgcc list.  If things go well with these, we should
> be able to provide the same things for Cygwin and Solaris.
>
> Thanks.

Concerning the AVR port:

Much has already been done elsewhere.

The AVR port does not use newlib. There is a separate C library
project for the AVR that is very mature.

So an open source AVR toolset would be:
Binutils
GCC (core and g++ packages only)
AVRLibC

AVRLibC:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avr-libc/

On it's homepage you'll find a link to snapshots where you'll find
binary and source RPMs posted on a weekly basis. Note that the AVR
toolset includes a C and C++ compiler (with caveats for C++).

Ted Roth <troth@openavr.org> is one of the maintainers of AVRLibC and
provides these RPMs.

You'll also find extensive documentation on the AVRLibC home page.

There is a new packaged Windows binary distribution of the AVR
toolset with installer called WinAVR:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winavr
WinAVR is built using MinGW. So there is no need to build this
toolset for Cygwin as Cygwin dlls would have to be shipped as well.

One of the developers of AVRLibC, Joerg Wunsch
<joerg_wunsch@interface-systems.de>, has already successfully built
the AVR toolset on Solaris. See the avr-libc-dev mailing list
archives for discussion. He is also the maintainer of the AVR toolset
for FreeBSD.

At www.openavr.org you'll find many links about the AVR open source
toolset especially for Linux.

Also now GDB has an AVR target and has been built for Linux.

Other AVR projects:
SimulAVR. <http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/simulavr/>
AVaRICE. <http://sourceforge.net/projects/avarice>
uisp. <http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/uisp/>

Another source of info (though slightly stale) is www.avrfreaks.net.
However, there is a very active GCC Forum there.

So you might think twice before reproducing effort that has already
been done elsewhere. Maybe you could provide a link to
www.openavr.org. The GCC web site provides a link to OpenAVR for info
about the AVR GCC port.

Eric Weddington