Re: multilib won't build soft-float libraries for strongarm-elf

> Richard,
>
> Thanks for your message.  You are of course correct that the default compiler
> operation is to generate little endian, soft float code.  The error I'm
> guessing is that it doesn't mark the output files correctly

Correct.

> - again I'm
> guessing that the ELF header's flags are what the linker uses to detect the
> type of floating point used, and when it sees a mismatch it gives an error.

Correct again.

> It would still be nice to explicitly declare my choice of floating point and
> endianism at compile time and during linking via the library path.

As I tried to explain previously, the problem if we fix it is that anyone
upgrading their compiler would then be unable to link in any object file
that was built with an older version of the compiler, since old objects
are marked as hard-float (even though they aren't really).

> Do you or
> anyone else know why MULTILIB fails to build the variants in the
> MULTILIB_OPTIONS.  Better still, can you advise how to make it build the
> libraries using the -msoft-float -mlittle-endian compiler switches ?

I've never had any problems building multi-libs (though I always tend to
build the arm-elf configuration).

R.

PS, if you really want to hack your local copy of the compiler, then
change the line in gcc/config/arm.h that reads:

#define SUBTARGET_EXTRA_ASM_SPEC ""

to read

#define SUBTARGET_EXTRA_ASM_SPEC "%{!msoft-float:-mno-fpu}"

then rebuild your compiler and all your libraries.