Re: Build without libgloss?

Are you using cygwin with David Knuth's patch to the gcc source
and what configure options did you use?

The only patch I've applied is undoing the effects of a quick hack that makes eh_frame info cluttering the data section with __global__.F chunks on elf targets. This is for 2.95.3 only. What does David's patch do?

I'm useing this environment:
export TARGET=m68k-elf
export PREFIX=/usr/m68k-elf
export PATH=$PREFIX/bin:$PATH

This configuration for the first pass:
../gcc-3.2/configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX --without-headers --with-newlib --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,c++

And this for the second pass:
../gcc-3.2/configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,c++

Or this for the single pass build:
../gcc-3.2/configure --target=$TARGET --prefix=$PREFIX --with-newlib --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,c++

It seems to work 'better' with /cygdrive/c instead of c:
On one attempt the first pass install tried to use /c:/ and failed (another
one for the FAQ).

Gcc doesn't like windows file names at all.

Something I read seemed to suggest the C library, be it newlib or glibc
should always be built as part of the gcc tree.  What is the current
received
wisdom on this?

Both should work. As newlib is distributed as a seperate package it can be build as such. There are claims that the compiler might not work correctly if it doesn't see the target headers during configuration but I have seen no evidence of this. At least if you install and reconfigurate the compiler over this issue should be solved.

I'm obvious doing something wrong. Maybe someone could enlighten me with
some answers
to the following (admittedly most of which should be RTFM or STFW items). I
have a least partial answers but independent verificat
ion would be nice.

How can I test my binutils are actually working? I've tried make check but I'm not sure if this is valid as I don't have
deja-gnu installed.

When in doubt try a different version. I have 2.12.1 right now.

Why are --with-gnu-as & --with-gnu-ld necessary?

Some host systems have their own assembler & linker with different properties than gnu as & ld. By default the configuration script assumes that they'd be used. Cygwin is not one of those so it doesn't make a difference.

Which as and ld is it after and where will it look for them?

You need to have $PREFIX/bin before cygwin/bin in your PATH. Otherwise cygwin's native gcc may be invoked for compiling the target libraries indeed.

Which headers does --without-headers refer to? what is the relationship of
these
headers to the newlib ones?

--without-headers referes to the target C library headers. For embedded cross targets they are ususally installed with newlib. The point is that you need to have a cross compiler first to compile newlib so you need to tell the build process that you are going to produce a minimal cross compiler without the need of target headers.

------
Want more information? See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/