Re: Build without libgloss?

Bruce Adams wrote:

After some tinkering I can get as far as building newlib but it (the
build-crossgcc-sh script) fails whilst building libgloss in build-newlib/m68k-coff/m68000/libgloss/m68k with "no targets
specified and no makefile found". The
configure log seems to suggest its trying to use some functions in libc.a
which we should have just built. Has
anyone know how to resolve this problem? I don't think we will require any of the routines in libgloss for our
application as we already have our own low level
support code. Is there some way to build newlib without libgloss or is it
an integral part without which nothing else
will work? The equivalent of running configure with --without-libgloss
perhaps?
Regards,
Bruce A.

I didn't use Bill's script but the two pass build procedure worked for my target m68k-elf on gcc 3.2.
If you don't need newlibs libgloss you can just move the newlib sources from newlib-1.10.0/newlib to gcc-3.2/newlib and configure and build it with gcc's build. It will compile gcc and newlib in one pass.
gcc 3.2 produces an executable that will run on my target but my debugger chokes on the new symbol information. If you use anything else than gdb for debugging and run into these problems you should consider gcc 2.95.3 instead.

------
Want more information? See the CrossGCC FAQ, http://www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/