Re: Configure tries to run cross-compiled programs (when building crossgcc under cygwin)

One more clue: it looks like the bad code is in the
AC_TRY_COMPILER macro in /usr/share/autoconf2.13/acgeneral.m4
A patch to remove it was posted here:
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/autoconf-patches/2000-May/004907.html
but that patch also removed AC_PROG_CC_WORKS.  Presumably the
suggested replacement is just AC_PROG_CC, but I'm a bit uncertain
about the details.

All of these changes need to be made to move to autoconf2.5x,
so if gcc ever switches to autoconf2.5x, maybe this problem will
go away.  Somebody tried once (http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-05/msg01712.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2001-05/msg01986.html) but
didn't finish, and as far as I know, nobody's really tried since.

On the bright side, I think gcc maintains separate config.cache's for
native and cross, so a fix of some sort ought to be easy.

It'd be nice if I could override ac_cv_prog_cc_works
and ac_cv_prog_cc_cross *but only while building libraries*.
Hmm.  Guess instead of just doing
  make all install
I could do
  ac_cv_prog_cc_cross=yes make all-target
  make all install
Guess I'll try that...
- Dan

(BTW, I just noticed that gcc's Makefile has support for building
utilities like 'uudecode'.  Man, what's up with that?)